lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Liu_An...@emc.com
Subject How to Use ParallelReader
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 06:57:02 GMT
Hi,

There is one class named org.apache.lucene.index.ParallelReader, as its javadoc stated:
An IndexReader which reads multiple, parallel indexes. Each index added must have the same
number of documents, but typically each contains different fields. Each document contains
the union of the fields of all documents with the same document number. When searching, matches
for a query term are from the first index added that has the field.
This is useful, e.g., with collections that have large fields which change rarely and small
fields that change more frequently. The smaller fields may be re-indexed in a new index and
both indexes may be searched together.
Warning: It is up to you to make sure all indexes are created and modified the same way. For
example, if you add documents to one index, you need to add the same documents in the same
order to the other indexes. Failure to do so will result in undefined behavior.

My question is: If I just want to update the small fields in one index and do not want to
update the large fields in another index, how can I make sure these two indexes are synchronized
and have the same document number?

Thanks and Regards
Andy