lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antoine Baudoux ...@taktik.be>
Subject Re: Several questions about scoring/sorting + random sorting in an image/related application
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:33:22 GMT
Well maybe i didnt explain my problem very well. I have a database
with over 3 million images, with each image belonging to one out of
300 possible collections. A query could return more than 100.000
images (for example if they search for a popular  image keyword).

I want to sort my result with a combination of image date/collection
scoring : Recent images with high-score collections come first, then
recent image with lower collection. As the user navigate through the
images, less recent images start to appear, also sorted by collection
score.

So imagine i make a query for "nature". This query would return
100.000 images. Your sugestion is that i dont make any attempt to
sort the images in Lucene.i just make a query with no sort. I would
then need to load the 100.000 rows from my database, then sort those
100.000 rows with my custom-defined ordering. Are-you sure this
method would be faster than custom Query, or a ValueSource query?
Since lucene already indexes and caches field values, I'm not very sure.