lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Hilton Campbell" <hilton.campb...@gmail.com>
Subject How can I search over all documents NOT in a certain subset?
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 18:04:33 GMT
Hello all,

In my application I want to perform a search over all the documents that are
NOT in a certain subset, and I'm not sure how I should do it.

Specifically, the application performs a search and the top N results are
shown to the user.  The user may then opt to see the next top N results.  By
the time the user chooses to see the next N results, however, there may be
new, highly-relevant documents in the index (as indexing is occurring
concurrently).  So instead of just skipping to the next N, I need to perform
a new search and get the top N that haven't been seen yet.  Is anyone aware
of an efficient way to implement this?

I can think of at least one way: I can keep track of the documents that have
been seen and iterate through all the hits, skipping those that have already
been seen.  I just want to see if there isn't a better way that doesn't
iterate through potentially hundreds of already seen hits, or if anyone has
any pointers on an efficient implementation of this idea.

Thanks!
Hilton Campbell