lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chris Lu" <chris...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FW: Lucene indexing vs RDBMS insertion.
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:36:30 GMT
It's better to first understand what's the computation difference
between Lucene Indexing and database insertiong.

For Lucene Indexing need to stem all words out, sort them, save them
to disk. And since Lucene is an incremental merge model, saved
documents may need to merge and saved again. There are a lot of CPU
and disk operation for each document, which can take fairly a long
time.

For database insertiong, each record usually just need "appending".
Maybe some fields need to be indexed(database index). But that's
usually b-tree. The CPU and disk is much less intensive.

So each case is different, but you can safely say Lucene is slower
than database.

--
Chris Lu