lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Documentation Promotion is in Motion!
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 02:32:13 GMT
Calling all Lucene Users!

You know you love Lucene for a whole variety of reasons (fast,
friendly, fun, did I say fast?) so how about showing a little love
back?  :-)

We (as in the committers and contributors) are trying out a new
release mechanism whereby we are implementing a code freeze on the
trunk (well, technically not a freeze, but...)  We are doing this so
we can nail down things like Maven artifacts and also to improve the
overall release process and, here's where you come in, improve the
documentation.  We did the freeze/branch today and are planning on
spending the next 10 days or so documenting as much as we can (or
just improving the documentation, or, even, just identifying where
more docs are needed).  Then, we will do the official release and you
all can enjoy Lucene 2.2.

So, what I would like to ask, is that people take the time to help us
out with the documentation.  See http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/
Documentation_Improvements (be sure to read the java-dev mail thread:
http://www.nabble.com/Documentation-Brainstorming-
tf3818348.html#a10810352) for ideas on where to start (and please
feel free to add your own, it is a Wiki after all!)  Obviously we
can't address everything in 10 days, but we can take a crack at it
and little by little we will get there.

But how can I help, you might ask?  Here are some tips:

1. Edit the wiki page above (getting a Wiki account takes zero time)
2. Contribute a Use Case:  http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/UseCases
3. Contribute a Best Practice: http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/
BestPractices

4. Add a JIRA issue for real, live issues related to documentation.
Think the website docs could be improved in a specific way?  Let us
know.  Same goes for javadocs, etc.

5. Supply a patch!  Make a case for it, bug us to apply it (but not
too much).  See http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute
for how this all works.  It really is quite easy, trust me.

6. Close any old issues you may have put into JIRA that are no longer
valid.

7.  Let us know where in particular the docs are, shall we say,
insufficient (but, please, be nice about it, we all want things to be
better, right?)  Let us know where you are confused by the docs.

Even if we just get a bunch of things identified during this round
for the next time around (2.3), this will be a great step in the
right direction.  Somehow, t I bet we can do better than that.

So, spare us 5 minutes or more of your time and help us help you!

Cheers,
Grant

Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing