lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Steven Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject Re: QueryParser stripping special char
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:12:29 GMT
Hi Harini,

Harini Raghavan wrote:
> I am trying to create a lucene query to search for companies based on
> areacode. The phone no. is stored in the lucene index in the form of
> '415-567-2323'. I need to create a query like +areaCode:"415-". But the
> QueryParser is stripping off the hyphen(-).
>
> Here is the code to create the query:
> Query query = QueryParser.parse("415-", "phone", analyzer);
>
> I tried by escaping the hyphen and even that did not work.
> Query query = QueryParser.parse ("415\\-", "phone", analyzer);
>
> Can anyone please suggest a way to do this?

I think what you want is something like:

   Query query = new PrefixQuery(new Term("phone","415-*"));

This assumes that "415-576-2323" is stored as a single term in the index
- searching with "415-" as a term will not match against full phone
numbers, unless you do some form of expansion (like the PrefixQuery
example I gave above).

Steve

--
Steve Rowe