lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Patrick Turcotte <>
Subject Re: How to implement AJAX search~Lucene Search part?
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:57:03 GMT

What we did was this:

1) When you application starts, it scans the index for terms values and
store them in a map or something.

2) When you receive "ajax requests", you compare with the map data and
return the relevant part. Works quite fast for us, without round trips
to Lucene.

Chris Lu wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to implement an AJAX search. Basically when user types in
> several characters,  I will try to search the Lucene index and found
> all possible matching items.
> Seems I need to use wildcard query like "test*" to matching anything.
> Is this the only way to do it? It doesn't seems quite efficient,
> especially when you just typed in the first character.
> I guess the "good" way is to go through the terms, and return as soon
> as, for example, 10 terms are found.
> I am wondering is there anything like this already built?

Patrick Turcotte
Projet Franqus :
(819) 821-8000, poste 63234
1-800-267-8337 puis 63234