lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: FW: Lucene indexing vs RDBMS insertion.
Date Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:11:09 GMT
>From my perspective, this is an irrelevant question. The real question
is "is Lucene indexing fast enough for my application?". Which nobody
can answer for you, you have to experiment.

If you're building an index that's only updated every 6 months,
Lucene is certainly "fast enough". If you're recreating the
index every 6 seconds, it's a different question.

So, I recommend that you create a test application that does
nothing except read your source, do whatever parsing you
need to do and does NOT index it at all. Record the time it
takes.

Then try the same thing WITH indexing and record the difference.

Then, to get a sense of the dimension of the problem, try
substituting inserting into the RDBMS instead of the Lucene

Once you have numbers, you can make better decisions
And people can give you better advice,  especially if you
include more detail of your design.

Best
Erick