lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How to Use ParallelReader
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:51:27 GMT
Hi,

----- Original Message ----
From: Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Saturday, June 16, 2007 3:10:08 AM
Subject: Re: How to Use ParallelReader

: My question is: If I just want to update the small fields in one index
: and do not want to update the large fields in another index, how can I
: make sure these two indexes are synchronized and have the same document
: number?

the short answer: build them in the same order, use the exact same
IndexWriter settings, and optimize both indexes.  you can rebuild either
of them again and again and again if you want -- as long as you keep doing
it in the same order.

OG: I think I understood how PR worked at one point, but have since forgotten.  I can't recall
how one gets docIds to match up after updates (del+add).  For example:

docId                index1                index2
1                               uid:10              name:Chuck
2                                uid:20              name:Mark
3                                uid:30              name:Chris
4                                uid:40             name:Tarzan

OG: If I need to change Chris' name to Yonik, I have to delete docId 3 in index2 and re-add.
 When it gets re-added we have docId 3 == isDeleted and the new doc with name:Yonik has docId
== 5.  Say that both indices are then closed and even optimized, and then re-opened, aren't
docs going to be misaligned?

docId                index1                index2

1                               uid:10              name:Chuck

2                                uid:20              name:Mark

3                                uid:30              name:Tarzan

4                                uid:40             name:Yonik

OG: No?

Otis