lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Winton Davies <wdav...@cs.stanford.edu>
Subject Email Definition in StandardTokenizer.jj
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 22:06:07 GMT
Hey guys,

Does someone who makes commits want to fix the EMAIL definition in
StandardTokenizer.jj

Its a not very well known exception to the naming process, that you
can use a "+" in the middle
of the email name, and the delivery agent sends the email to the
prefixing name, but keeps the original name (so you can filter on it,
for example).

I use this all the time to create unique, traceable email address
from my gmail account for when I sign up with sites I don't trust not
to sell my email address onto spammers.

Actually, if you ask me the whole thing is a lot more complicated
after I did some research. Look at the set of non-alphanumeric chars
you can use.

Its not a showstopper, but it'd be nice to have it right.

Cheers,
  Winton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_address:

According to RFC 2822, the local-part of the address may use any of
these ASCII characters:
	*	Uppercase and lowercase letters (case sensitive)
	*	The digits 0 through 9
	*	The characters ! # $ % & ' * + - / = ? ^ _ ` { | } ~
	*	The character . provided that it is not the first or
last character in the local-part.

According to RFC 2821, "the local-part MUST be interpreted and
assigned semantics only by the host specified in the domain part of
the address. In particular, for some hosts the user "smith" is
different from the user "Smith".

Plus addressing is one of the benefits of this limitation. Some mail
servers allow a user to append +tag to their email address
(joeuser+tag@example.com). The text of tag can be used to apply
filtering.
Some systems violate RFC 2822, and the recommendations in RFC 3696,
by refusing to send mail addressed to a user on another system merely
because the local-part of the address contains the plus sign (+).
Users of these systems cannot use plus addressing.

On the other hand, most qmail installations support the use of '-' as
a separator between local-address and domain parts. Such as
joeuser-tag@example.com or joeuser-tag-sub-anything-else@example.com.
This allows qmail through .qmail-default or
.qmail-tag-sub-anything-else files to sort, filter, forward, or run
application based on the tagging system established. Procmail and
SpamAssassin are common applications to use with qmail to help sort
out spam or further filter incoming email.