lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aleksander M. Stensby" <aleksander.sten...@integrasco.no>
Subject MergeFactor advice wanted
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 09:46:54 GMT
Hello everyone!
I'm wondering if any of you have any helpful advice to what MergeFactor i
should use...
The indexing process is handling a large amount of documents and i would
like to index as fast as possible.
Initial thought was to increase the mergeFactor to make the indexer work
more in memory and less writing to file. Thus this created a problem for
me with "TOO-MANY-OPEN-FILES"... of course, since i choose 2000 as my
mergeFactor:) Well, i could do an optimize from time to time, but the big
question is whats more efficient? Optimize tends to take a loooong time on
our system since it is quite a large index.

Any helpful advice to what i should do? 10 as mergeFactor cant possibly be
the best solution here? Any advice would be highly appreciated!

- Aleksander

--
Aleksander M. Stensby
Software Developer