lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <>
Subject Re: optimization behaviour
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 13:32:06 GMT
On 5/10/07, karl wettin <> wrote:
> > Deleted documents are removed on segment merges (for documents marked
> > as deleted in those segments).
> > Due to the nature of an inverted index, it's impossible w/o going over
> > the complete index looking for all references to that docid.
> What about alternative solutions to avoid change of document numbers?
> That would be an alternative solution for me. Perhaps something like
> adding dummy documents, marking them deleted even after merge or so?
> What would the effects or implications be?

Thats an interesting question.
One problem would be the growth of maxDoc and the corresponding growth
of filters, fieldCache entries, and maxDoc exceeding 2GB.  So it's
probably doable in the short term, but broken in the long term for
constantly changing indicies.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message