lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Problem using wildcardsearch in phrase search
Date Sun, 13 May 2007 17:53:44 GMT

: > You can't use a wildcard within double quotes. The Lucene syntax
: > grammar does not look for such things.

: This is the bit I don't get (I have got round the problem), why can't
: you use wildcards within double quotes, this isnt mentioned anywhere in
: http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/queryparsersyntax.html

Documenting a negated set against the universe of all posisble syntax
isn't feasible -- ie: the docs list what things QueryParser can do, not
the full list of all permutations of things it can't do.

It can't deal with Span Queries, it can't handle fuzzy phrase queries, it
doesn't suppord math on field vaues, it doesn't support negative values
for boost, ... these are just some of the things it doesn't support.

If you read the section on Proximity Searches (aka: PhraseQuery) you'll
eee it clearly says "Lucene supports finding words are a within a specific
distance away." ... note that word "word".  It does *not* say "...finding
QUERIES are within...."  There is no implication that the QueryParser's
Proximity Searching support incudes any query types (like wildcards) other
then simple term matching.

-Hoss