lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <DOR...@il.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Memory leak (JVM 1.6 only)
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 15:56:05 GMT
Stephen Gray wrote:

> Thanks. If the extra memory allocated is native memory I don't think
> jconsole includes it in "non-heap" as it doesn't show this as
> increasing, and jmap/jhat just dump/analyse the heap. Do you know of an
> application that can report native memory usage?

Sorry, but I didn't profile native memory for quite a long
time... In my specific case that was not needed b/c problems
begun as I started using GZipOutputStreams very aggressively,
but with fine control over the underlying Java IO buffers.
So when I got the OOM, it was obvious that the problem was
in native mem. Another different behavior with native mem
issues is that increasing max Java heap size might actually
have a negative effect b/c less free native memory remains.

Just in case you haven't checked that yet, there's some useful info in
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/trouble/TSG-VM/html/memleaks.html
including pointers to native memory analysis tools.

Once you find the cause, it would be interesting to hear what
it was, and especially how you found it...

Regards,
Doron