lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doron Cohen <>
Subject Re: Memory leak (JVM 1.6 only)
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 15:56:05 GMT
Stephen Gray wrote:

> Thanks. If the extra memory allocated is native memory I don't think
> jconsole includes it in "non-heap" as it doesn't show this as
> increasing, and jmap/jhat just dump/analyse the heap. Do you know of an
> application that can report native memory usage?

Sorry, but I didn't profile native memory for quite a long
time... In my specific case that was not needed b/c problems
begun as I started using GZipOutputStreams very aggressively,
but with fine control over the underlying Java IO buffers.
So when I got the OOM, it was obvious that the problem was
in native mem. Another different behavior with native mem
issues is that increasing max Java heap size might actually
have a negative effect b/c less free native memory remains.

Just in case you haven't checked that yet, there's some useful info in
including pointers to native memory analysis tools.

Once you find the cause, it would be interesting to hear what
it was, and especially how you found it...

> Thanks,
> Steve

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: