lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Max Metral" <...@artsalliancelabs.com>
Subject Help with Ajax-based prefix query?
Date Fri, 04 May 2007 18:46:58 GMT
Hi.  I'm trying to design a proper index and query mechanism for looking up a business listing
using an Ajax-style autocompleting text box.  While I have gotten "versions" to work, I'm
wondering what the optimal approach is.

Someone may be looking for "Appleton Café."  That listing might be under "Appleton Café
and Bakery", or "Appleton Bakery Café" etc etc.  When they type "apple" I want to match it
(easy), and when they type "Appleton ca" I want to match it also.  I'm taking a simple attempt
now, which is just a PrefixQuery.  Problem is I seem to need to Store it, Tokenize it (KeywordAnalyzer),
and store the Term Vector just to get the PrefixQuery to work.  Is this true?  Since I already
have the "title" field stored using a Snowball analyzer in another field, I want the minimum
bits required to make the PrefixQuery work to be stored in the index.

Thanks very much for any pointers,

--Max