lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Mordo, Aviran (EXP N-NANNATEK)" <aviran.mo...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: Searching on a Rapidly changing Index
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 13:08:22 GMT
You can create two indexes. One will be for new documents, let say the
last 24 hours and another one for older documents. This way you will
only update a small portion of your index while the large index will
remain relatively constant so you don't have to get a new searcher for
it.

HTH

Aviran
http://www.aviransplace.com
http://shaveh.co.il

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Wistow [mailto:simon@thegestalt.org]
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 5:22 AM
To: Lucene
Subject: Searching on a Rapidly changing Index

I've built a Lucene system that gets rapidly updated - documents are
supposed to be searchable immeidately after they've been indexed.

As such I have a Writer that puts new index, update and delete tasks
into a queue and then has a thread which consumes them and applies them
to the index using one instance of an IndexModifier. So far so good.

However every new Search opens up a new IndexSearcher in order to make
sure that it gets new documents. The docs indicate is a big performance
penalty.

Are there any tips or tricks I can use to mitigate this?

thanks,

Simon