lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: boosting different parts of the same field
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 22:18:00 GMT
If you are up for _BLEEDING EDGE_ stuff, have a look at the Payload
addition to the trunk.  With this, you can set payloads on individual
terms (i.e. the title tokens) and then use the BoostingTermQuery when
searching to factor in the payload in the scoring. This is very much
"buyer beware" at this point as it is not even officially released
yet.  While it isn't overly complicated to use or anything, I just
wouldn't recommend it for production yet.

-Grant

On May 31, 2007, at 2:34 PM, wojtek hury wrote:

> Is there a way of boosting only fragment of the field? Let's say
> that I have
> a title and short description of something which I want to index into
> "myfield" field - is there a way of boosting title as more
> important for
> scoring than description? I thought that maybe something like below
> would
> work
>
> Field f = new Field("myfield", title, Field.Store.NO,
> Field.Index.TOKENIZED
> );
> f.setBoost(TITLE_BOOST);
> doc.add(f);
> f = new Field("myfield", description, Field.Store.NO,
> Field.Index.TOKENIZED
> );
> f.setBoost(DECRIPTION_BOOST);
> doc.add(f);
>
> But I realized that it has effects that field "myfield" (all field)
> has
> boost TITLE_BOOST * DESCRIPTION_BOOST. Is there any work-around for
> this?
> Thank you in advance for any help.
> wojtek hury

Grant Ingersoll