lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Antony Bowesman <...@teamware.com>
Subject Re: Does Lucene search over memory too?
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 05:48:41 GMT
Michael McCandless wrote:
> The "autoCommit" mode for IndexWriter has not actually been released
> yet: you can only use it on the trunk.
>
> It actually serves a different purpose: it allows you to make sure
> your searchers do not see any changes made by the writer (even the
> ones that have been flushed) until you call close.  It defaults to
> autoCommit="true", which matches the current released Lucene
> behavior.

I read the new IndexWriter Javadoc and I'm unclear about this autocommit.  In
2.1, I thought an IndexReader opened in an IndexSearcher does not "see"
additions to an index made by an IndexWriter, i.e. maxDoc and numDocs remain
constant, so the statement

"When autoCommit is true then every flush is also a commit (IndexReader
instances will see each flush as changes to the index). This is the default, to
match the behavior before 2.2"

makes me wonder if my assumptions are wrong.  Can you clarify what it means by
the IndexReader "seeing" changes to the index?

Thanks
Antony