lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: Indexing help needed
Date Fri, 25 May 2007 20:42:08 GMT
jim shirreffs wrote:
> Thanks for the advice, I just don't see where in the Lucene code I
> should plug OOParcer into Lucene.
>
> I've walked the code in LIUS and Nutch (moving on to Solr) trying to
> find common objects. If I can find common objects in Lucene and Nutch
> I'll know where to plug in.

You seem to be somewhat confused about what Lucene really is. It's just
a library, and not an application. It's up to you to provide the logic
and glue, or to extend any existing demo application to accomodate your
needs. It's also a _plain_ _text_ search library. So if you want to
index anything else you need to first convert it to a plain text format.

That's essentially what OOParser does in Nutch. It extracts data from OO
documents and converts it to plain text. Disregard other stuff in that
plugin - it has to do with how Nutch passes this data to storage (and
indexing takes place in a completely different step, so you won't find
it here). Just use the parts that extract plain text data - and then use
this plain text data to add fields to Lucene documents.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><