lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Gray <Stephen.G...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Re: Memory leak (JVM 1.6 only)
Date Fri, 18 May 2007 06:48:13 GMT
Thanks. If the extra memory allocated is native memory I don't think
jconsole includes it in "non-heap" as it doesn't show this as
increasing, and jmap/jhat just dump/analyse the heap. Do you know of an
application that can report native memory usage?

Thanks,
Steve

Doron Cohen wrote:
> Stephen Gray <Stephen.Gray@anu.edu.au> wrote on 17/05/2007 22:40:01:
>

>> One interesting thing is that although the memory allocated as
>> reported by the processes tab of Windows Task Manager goes up and up,
>> and the JVM eventually crashes with an OutOfMemory error, the total size
>> of heap + non-heap as reported by jconsole is constant and much lower
>> than the Windows-reported allocated memory. I've also tried Netbeans
>> profiler, which suggests that the variables in the heap that are
>> continually surviving garbage collection do not all originate from one
>> class.
>>

> Smells like native memory leak? Can jconsole/jmap/jhat monitor native mem?
> I once spent some time on what finally was a GZipOutputStream native mem
> usage/leak. Moving from Java 1.5 to 1.6 could expose such problem...

Stephen Gray
Archive IT Officer
Australian Social Science Data Archive
18 Balmain Crescent (Building #66)