lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Gray <Stephen.G...@anu.edu.au>
Subject Memory leak (JVM 1.6 only)
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 06:31:05 GMT
Hi everyone,

I have an application that indexes/searches xml documents using Lucene.
I'm having a problem with what looks like a memory leak, which occurs
when indexing a large number of documents, but only when the application
is running under JVM 1.6. Under JVM 1.5 there is no problem. What
happens is that the memory allocated consistently rises during indexing
until the JVM crashes with an OutOfMemory exception.

I'm using Lucene 2.1, and am using Maik Schreiber's LuceneIndexAccess
API, which hands out references to cached IndexWriter/Reader/Searchers
to objects that need to use them, and handles closing and re-opening
IndexSearchers after documents are added to the index. The application
is running under Tomcat 6.

I'm a bit out of my depth determining the source of the leak - I've
tried using Netbeans profiler, which shows a large number of HashMap
instances that survive a long time, but these are created by many
different classes so it's difficult to pinpoint one source.

Has anyone found similar problems with Lucene indexing operations
running under JVM 1.6? Does anyone have any suggestions re how to deal
with this?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve