lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Re: Problem using wildcardsearch in phrase search
Date Sun, 13 May 2007 13:35:36 GMT
Mark Miller wrote:
> You cannot use wildcards in quotes simply because the QueryParser
> syntax does not look for such things...at the top level it is either
> looking for a Wildcard token OR a Quoted token. There is good reason
> for this: a phrase query does not support wildcards.
OK thanks for all the info, as I said previously I worked round the
problem so I dont need to do any coding, but the obvious followup
question to above is:Why don't Phrase queries support wildcards, does it
not just not make sense, or has it just not been done yet, as i said
before there is nothing in the query syntax documentation to indicate it
isnt supported.

thanks paul