lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem using wildcardsearch in phrase search
Date Sun, 13 May 2007 12:32:51 GMT
You cannot use wildcards in quotes simply because the QueryParser syntax
does not look for such things...at the top level it is either looking
for a Wildcard token OR a Quoted token. There is good reason for this: a
phrase query does not support wildcards. The hack that I suggested
(looking for a wildcard in the token before returning the TermQuery) was
only going to work because you where not generating a PhraseQuery with
your quotes...the KeywordAnalyzer only emits a single token keeping a
PhraseQuery from being generated....a TermQuery was being generated
instead...which you wanted to turn into a WildcardQuery if you found a *
or ? in the Term.

If you wanted Lucene to generally support wildcard queries within quotes
you have to do a bit of work. One way: instead of generating
PhraseQueries you override the QueryParser to generate SpanNearQueries,
then you need to implement a simple SpanWildcardQuery and change some
logic around in the QueryParser to look for wildcard characters in the
quoted token and generate the correct Query of SpanNearQuery's and
SpanWildcardQueries.

Again, I know I am not the clearest of explainers...I just have an itch
to try and help out anyway <g>.

- Mark