lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From markharw00d <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: FuzzyLikeThisQuery what does maxNumTerms mean
Date Wed, 09 May 2007 22:38:24 GMT
bhecht wrote:
> Thanks Mark,
> I have updated my previous post I guess, before you had a chance to read it.

Did you edit your post on Nabble? That edit didn't come through as a
message to java-user so I didn't see it.
You shouldn't need to call rewrite on your FuzzyLikeThisQuery unless you
want to pass it to the Highlighter.

As for which is best,  MoreLikeThis or FuzzyLikeThisQuery -it depends.
Are the records you are trying to match frequently mis-spelt? If so,
FuzzyLikeThisQuery may provide better results by matching on spelling
variations. Try both classes and see.  There is no single solution to
all tasks as it depends on the data and there are various settings on
both classes which can alter results. Using the Highlighter will show
you the basis of any matches produced and can help you to see what is
going on. Having a human-validated collection of matches will be useful
so you can measure the effectiveness of your choice of algorithm.

Cheers
Mark