lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andreas Guther" <Andreas.Gut...@markettools.com>
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 16:44:45 GMT
I moved today from Lucene 2.0 to 2.1 and I noticed that the
IndexReader.isCurrent() call is very expensive.  What took 20
milliseconds in 2.0 now takes seconds in 2.1.

I have the following scenario:

- 7 index directories of different size, ranging from some MB to 5 GIG
- Some index are upgraded to Lucene 2.1, some are still in the old
format, depending if an update happened or not
- Cached IndexSearcher for each index
- I was using the IndexSearcher's indexReader to check if changes
happened since the Searcher was chached

The isCurrent check takes between less than 10 millis up to 1400 millis,
depending on the folder.  The time needed seems not to be relevant to
the size of the index.

However, the isCurrent check is definitely too expensive.

What can I do to get a faster information?

Andreas