lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andreas Guther" <Andreas.Gut...@markettools.com>
Subject RE: How to re-open the IndexSearcher's IndexReader
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 05:56:12 GMT
Maybe I should add that I am currently using Lucene 2.0.  From other
threads I get the impression that this might be solved in Lucene 2.1.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Guther [mailto:Andreas.Guther@markettools.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:33 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: How to re-open the IndexSearcher's IndexReader

Hi,

How can I re-use an IndexSearcher and keep track of changes to the

I am dealing with Index Directories of several GB.  Opening and
IndexSearcher is very expensive and can take several seconds.  Therefore
I am caching the IndexSearcher for re-use.

Our indexes are frequently updated.  Before I pass the IndexSearcher
retrieved from the cache I use the IndexSearcher getIndexReader() method
to get the IndexReader and to check if the IndexReader is current (via
the isCurrent() method).

The isCurrent method is documented as follows:

/**
   * Check whether this IndexReader still works on a current version of
the index.
   * If this is not the case you will need to re-open the IndexReader to
   * make sure you see the latest changes made to the index.
   *
   * @throws IOException
   */

Opening a new  IndexReader  is trivial.  But then how do I set the
IndexSearcher's reader to the new one without getting a new instance?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andreas