lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Searching on a Rapidly changing Index
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 13:28:30 GMT
Another option would be to only re-open your searcher when actually
needed, that is after the index has changed. This only does you some
good when you have some hope that there are sizable gaps in
your modifications....

Another possibility is to relax the "immediately" constraint. Would
a maximum of 10 minutes really be unacceptable? That would
allow you to open up a new Reader every 10 minutes, warm it up
in the background and then switch.

This works if you can say something to your product manager like
"give me a 10 minute delay and people will get significantly faster
results".

If that's unacceptable, you can *still* open up a new reader in the
background and warm it up before using it. "immediately" then
becomes 5-10 seconds or so.

Best
Erick