lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: One (large) field shared by many documents
Date Sat, 19 May 2007 23:34:12 GMT
You're right, your index will bloat considerably. In fact, I'm surprised
it's only a factor of 5....

The only thing that comes to mind is really a variant on your approach
from your first e-mail. But I wouldn't use document ids because document
IDs can change. So using doc IDs is...er.... fraught.

So here's the variant. Go ahead and index your "collection vector",
but index it with a second field that is your "collection ID". Then, add
that collection ID to each document in your original index. So, you have
something like

a: text:{look, a, cat}  collectionID:32
b: text:{my, chimpansee, is , hairy} collectionID:32
c: text:{dogs, are, playful} collectionID:32

Your other index has
collectionID:32 collectionVector:{look, a, cat, my, chimpansee, is , hairy,
dogs, are, playful}

Now, you essentially make two queries, one to get a set of
collection IDs from your second index (that is, querying your terms
against collectionVector) and using that set of collectionIDs in a
query against your first index.

You might be able to do some interesting things with boosts
to score either query more to your liking.

This will come close to doubling the size of your index, but your
first approach could bloat it by an arbitrary factor depending upon
how many documents were in your largest collection.....

One thing to note, however, is that there is no need to have
two separate physical indexes. Lucene does not require that
all  documents have the same fields. So this could all be in one
big happy index. As long as the fields are different in the two
sets of documents, the queries won't interfere with each other. In
that case, you'd have to name the "foreign key" field differently for
the sets of documents, say collectionID1 and collectionID2.

All that said, this approach bothers me because it's mixing
some database ideas with a Lucene index. I suppose in a controlled
situation where you won't be trying to do arbitrary joins it's probably
a misplaced unease. But I'm leery of trying to make Lucene act
like a database. But that may just be a personal problem <G>

The only other consideration is "how many collections do you have?"
The reason I ask is that in the worst case scenario, you'll have an
OR clause for every collection ID you have. Lucene can easily handle
many thousands of terms in an OR, but your search time will suffer.
And you'll have to take special action (really, just set MaxBooleanClauses)
if this is over 1024 or you'll get a TooManyClauses exception.

Best
Erick