lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: query syntax question
Date Thu, 10 May 2007 13:02:34 GMT
You could create a Lucene Filter that had a bit for each document that
had a first or last name and use that at query time to restrict your
results appropriately. You could create this at startup time or at
query time. See CachingWrapperFilter for a way to cache it.

Another approach would be to add a dummy field to each document,
something like HASFIRSTORLASTNAME. At index time, when
you index a document, if it has a first or last name, put "yes" in the
field. Otherwise, put "no".

Then, at search time, add an +HASFIRSTORLASTNAME:yes to the
query......

You could add as many states to this field as you want.

Erick