lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Wistow <si...@thegestalt.org>
Subject Re: Searching on a Rapidly changing Index
Date Thu, 24 May 2007 13:48:58 GMT
On Thu, May 24, 2007 at 09:28:30AM -0400, Erick Erickson said:
> If that's unacceptable, you can *still* open up a new reader in the
> background and warm it up before using it. "immediately" then
> becomes 5-10 seconds or so.

This is currently what I'm doing using a list of previous performed
queries in combination with something similar to Aviran's suggestion of
partitioning by date and only opening when the index changes.

At the moment search is sufficently speedy that this works but in the
future I think the definition of 'immediate' may well get relaxed.

Thanks for all the suggestions - it's nice to know I wasn't completely
off track and/or missing something obvious.

Simon