lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Paul Elschot <paul.elsc...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Re: Field.Store.Compress - does it improve performance of document reads?
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 08:01:45 GMT
On Thursday 17 May 2007 08:10, Andreas Guther wrote:
> I am currently exploring how to solve performance problems I encounter with
> Lucene document reads.
>
> We have amongst other fields one field (default) storing all searchable
> fields.  This field can become of considerable size since we are  indexing
> documents and  store the content for display within results.
>
> I noticed that the read can be very expensive.  I wonder now if it would
> make sense to add this field as Field.Store.Compress to the index.  Can
> someone tell me if this would speed up the document read or if this is
> something only interesting for saving space.

I have not tried the compression yet, but in my experience a good way
to reduce the costs of document reads from a disk is by reading them
in document number order whenever possible. In this way one saves
on the disk head seeks.
Compression should actually help reducing the costs of disk head seeks
even more.

Regards,
Paul Elschot