lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "bbrown" <bbr...@botspiritcompany.com>
Subject Re: Indexing the ORACLE using lucene
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 17:23:17 GMT
On Fri, 11 May 2007 09:02:04 -0400, Erick Erickson wrote
> Search the mail archive for Oracle, and there's lengthy discussion. The
> short form is that you query your database, taking selected
> data from it and add it to a Lucene document, then write the
> document to your Lucene index. Repeat this for as many "documents"
> as you need.
>
> There are a large number of decisions to be made. For instance,
> what constitutes a "document". Whether (or how much) to de-normalize
> your data. etc. The question "how to create an index from an Oracle
> database" is far too general to give any more specific advice.
>
> Best
> Erick
>
> On 5/11/07, Krishna Prasad Mekala <krishnapm@virtusa.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >

> > I am new to Lucene. I am developing a small search utility using lucene.
> > I have to create the index from my Oracle database. Can anybody tell me
> > how to create the index from Oracle using lucene? Please send me code
> > snippets if possible.
> >

> > Your valuable help is highly appreciated.
> >

> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> > Thanks and best regards,
> >

> > Krishna Prasad M

Yea, there isnt much documentation out there on how to do this.  But, ideally
it is pretty simple.  Your goal is to index the content from your database
into the Lucene.  That is pretty much it.  So, just look at the Document
creation code.

Also, to other lucene developers; I actually had to index the 'ID' field.  I
kept getting null if I didnt index it?

This is what I have done with MySQL, which should work for Oracle (jdbc).

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dq6cjjg_72fmbcj4

On updating the index.  For me, it is just as easy for me to delete the
entire index (eg, delete the entire directory) and re-index the database
again.  It takes more processing as opposed to a 'real' update but is simpler
development-wise.

--
Berlin Brown
[berlin dot brown at gmail dot com]