lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Chandan Tamrakar" <chan...@ccnep.com.np>
Subject RE: MergeFactor advice wanted
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 12:02:51 GMT
What if we are using addindexes(Ram Directory) method ? it calls optimize
function inside the function itself ?

Any solution to this ?

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Miller [mailto:markrmiller@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 4:03 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: MergeFactor advice wanted

I think it is worth your time to do some benchmarking. I think
mergeFactor is not very helpful in the end...if you set it high, you'll
index faster but then your searches will be slower prompting you to
optimize...after which you'll find that you paid all your gains back.
Test things out for yourself, but I'd recommend a low merge factor and
then you can forget about the hassle of optimizing. Amortize, amortize...

- Mark