lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From mark harwood <markharw...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: FuzzyLikeThisQuery what does maxNumTerms mean
Date Wed, 09 May 2007 17:21:17 GMT
FuzzyLikeThis is effectively the same as MoreLikeThis but adds fuzzy variations for the selected
terms.

>>Will it only use the first 3 terms or what?

It works the same way as MoreLikeThis in that it is selective about which input terms are
used for querying - words like "the" will typically get ignored.
So, given the input terms "accommodation in the Brecon beacons" the terms selected for querying
are likely to be:

    accommodation - accomodation - accommadation - accomadation
    brecon - breacon - breckon - bracken
    beacons - beacon

This list of terms is then is shortlisted to the maxNumTerms value.

Unlike standard FuzzyQuery the rare term variations (i.e. the misspellings) will not be boosted
above the hopefully more common correct spelling due to their IDF.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
Mark