lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From bhecht <bhe...@ams-sys.com>
Subject FuzzyLikeThisQuery what does maxNumTerms mean
Date Wed, 09 May 2007 15:46:29 GMT

Hello all,

I am new to lucene and want to use the FuzzyLikeThisQuery.

I have read the documentation for this class, and read the following for
what maxNumTerms means:
"maxNumTerms - The total number of terms clauses that will appear once
rewritten as a BooleanQuery".
In addition in the classes documentation it reads:
"Fuzzifies ALL terms provided as strings and then picks the best n
differentiating terms"

1) I want to understand if the meaning of  "n" in "the best n
differentiating terms" refers to maxNumTerms .
2) I want to understand how does this number affect the query built for this
scenario:

FuzzyLikeThisQuery fuzzyLikeThisQuery = new FuzzyLikeThisQuery(3, new
StandardAnalyzer());
fuzzyLikeThisQuery.addTerms("tem1 term2 term3 term4", fieldName, 0.75f, 2);

If the number of maxNumTerms = 3, how will this affect the query built. Will
it only use the first 3 terms or what?

Thanks in advance.