lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: lucene indexes back up strategies
Date Sat, 28 Apr 2007 00:20:54 GMT
: > Wow, I did not know Lucene 2.1 can do all of this.  The problem is that I'm
: > currently using 2.0.  Is there something similar to what you just mentioned
: > in dealing with 2.0 indexes--backing up piecewise?  Thanks again.
:
: Hmm, OK.  Pre-2.1 Lucene will overwrite at least the file "segments",
: *.del (per segment deletions) and *.sN (only if you set norms, which
: is a rather advanced function).  So probably best to use something
: like "rsync" which I believe looks @ timestamp and file size to
: determine that a file has changed, and then copies it over.

you should take a look at the snapshooter and backup scripts that come
with Solr, the concepts can be applied to any lucene index not just Solr,
but they rely on your filesystem supportin hardlinks...

	http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/lucene/solr/trunk/src/scripts/
	http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CollectionDistribution

-Hoss