lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From moraleslos <morales...@hotmail.com>
Subject Lucene for name matching
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 19:58:33 GMT

I was wondering if anyone has done people name matching using Lucene.  For
example, I have a name coming from some external source that I would like to
match with the one I have in my DB.  Lets say my DB contains the name "John
Smith".  If the external source has something like "Smith John", "Smith,
John", "J. Smith", etc., I would like to rate this matching based on some %
of closeness for review later.  I've searched around a bit for algorithms
and I kept seeing the Levenshtein distance algorithm which I'm sure Lucene
uses under the hood.  So I trying to guage if Lucene is useful for doing
something specific as this, or are there better algorithms and/or software
out there that does name matching.  Thanks in advance!

-los