lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How many Searches is a Searcher Worth?
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 17:39:50 GMT
No reason that I can think of.  What makes you think the problem is with the IndexSearcher?
 Maybe it's something else in your code, for instance.
Make sure you have the same version of Java on both ends of the call.  Also, Java 6 made our
RMI calls a lot more stable than even 1.5.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Craig W Conway <craigwconway@yahoo.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2007 1:25:27 PM
Subject: How many Searches is a Searcher Worth?

I am using an RMI architecture for calling a remote service which uses an IndexSearcher in
its own JVM. I am starting the service with the following provisions for memory allocation
and garbage collection: java -server -Xmx1024m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC

After about 1000 search calls I start to run out of memory, and I have to close and re-open
the IndexSearcher, loosing any cached data and filters... Is there any reason why I shouldn't
be able to use my IndexSearcher forever, until I want to close it?

Thanks!

Craig