lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Artem Vasiliev" <abub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Out of memory exception for big indexes
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:16:39 GMT
Hello Ivan!

It's so sad to me that you had bad results with that patch. :)

The discussion in the ticket is out-of-date - the patch was initially in
several classes, used WeakHashMap but then it evolved to what it's now - one
StoredFieldSortFactory class. I use it in my sharehound app in pretty much
the same the form it is in Jira currently and it does show good results to
me.

In your sample searches,
- how many results do you have?
- how long does the sorted search execute?
- what is the average size of a sorted field?
- what is the CPU and how much of it and memory you give to the application?

I get page 1 (first 100 items) of sorted list with 10000 items in 0.3s to 3s
(for date column it exactly depends on whether the sort is ascending or
descending - don't know why is that). My index is about 1mln docs and 1G;
sorted fields are rather small (numbers, dates and string of maybe 50
symbols average). The machine looks quite beefy to me - Intel core duo with
500M given to the application.

Regards,
Artem