lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Field.lazy setter method?
Date Wed, 04 Apr 2007 13:07:45 GMT
Lazy loading is handled through the FieldSelector interface on
IndexReader.doc() and some variations.  There is nothing special that
need be done during indexing to mark a field as lazy.  The isLazy
method merely lets you know later, after loading a Document, if the
field is, indeed, lazy.  One caveat, lazy fields become undefined if
the underlying IndexReader is closed before accessing the field.
Once a lazy field is loaded, however, this is no longer an issue, as
the field value stays in memory.

-Grant

On Apr 4, 2007, at 8:56 AM, jafarim wrote:

> Hi
> I wonder why there is not setter method for the "lazy" member
> variable in
> Field class. Does that mean the propoerty is nominal and setting it
> does not
> have any effect, or am I missing some point?
> Any way, is there any way to tell lucene that a field is to be lazy-
> loaded,
> from the very beginning of field construction?
>
> --jaf

Grant Ingersoll
Center for Natural Language Processing
http://www.cnlp.org