lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: multi user multi index?
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 06:01:36 GMT
Simpy.com has a similar setup.  You have to be careful about open files, making sure you don't
run out of open file descriptors.  You'll also want to minimize IndexReader/Searcher/Writer
open/close as much as you can.  The good side of this setup is that searches go against small
indices, you don't need to always add "AND user:XXX", and if anything goes wrong with one
user's index, it's easy and fast to rebuild.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: nesrka sri <nesrka@yahoo.co.in>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2007 6:46:54 PM
Subject: multi user multi index?

Hi,

   Iam currently working on indexing the documents present in a web based document management
system. The system currently has around 200,000 users and each user has approximately 10 to
100 documents.We currently have around 50 GB of data. The system should allow the users only
to search across his/her documents.

Currently our system is designed such that each user has a separate index. The index size
for each user is around 500KB to 5MB approx. For each document added by the user a indexwriter
is created and for each search by the user a indexreader is created. ( I think it may not
be a good idea). Can some throw some light on what kind of issues we might face with this
kind of setup?

Or should we have a single index. add unique user id as a field in each document. Search with
user id added as a filter.

Thanks,
nesrka