lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Out of memory exception for big indexes
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 15:20:21 GMT
Ivane,

Sorts will eat your memory, and how much they use depends on what you store in them - ints,
String, floats...
A profiler like JProfiler will tell you what's going on, who's eating your memory.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Ivan Vasilev <ivasilev@sirma.bg>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, April 6, 2007 7:09:38 AM
Subject: Out of memory exception for big indexes

Hi All,

I have the following problem - we have OutOfMemoryException when
seraching on the indexes that are of size 20 - 40 GB and contain 10 - 15
million docs.
When we make searches we perform query that match all the results but we
DO NOT fetch all the results - we fetch 100 of them. We also make
sorting by using the class Sort and we really need result to be sorted
on a field that is randomly defined by the user.
So my questions are:
1) Have Lucene some restrictions on index size on which it can perform
searches?
2) Is there some approach to estimate beforehand the RAM that will use
Lucene for sertain query? I mean on what exactly depends this memory
usage - on index size, on docs stored in the index, on size of this docs...
3) Is there some approach to controll the used RAM. For example when
searching not to exceed 1GB of used memory?
4) Is there some spcial approach to proceeding with such big indexes (we
expect in near future even 60 -80 GB indexes).

Best Regards,
Ivan