lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com>
Subject Re: Adding large files to index
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 23:34:31 GMT
David Xiao wrote:
> Consider reduce size of per file. Split them into smaller pieces will
> definitely help indexer working faster.
>
> A 50M pure text file is amazing size, very few text files reach that
> size: 50M. It must be very reasonable if you have to keep all
> information in such one big file.
>
> What you think?

Not everyone using Lucene is writing a CMS.  Some of us do have to deal
with arbitrarily big data, if it appears.  How do you split an
arbitrary, large text file?  Will breaking it in two make some queries
not work, e.g. if the user enters +term1 +term2 and each one was on
opposite sides of the split? etc.

That being said, I haven't had issues adding files of this size.  But
then, our application doesn't require the ability to read at the same
time some other thread is writing (so our memory requirements are lower
to begin with.)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll