lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ivan Vasilev <ivasi...@sirma.bg>
Subject Re: Out of memory exception for big indexes
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 19:09:03 GMT
Hi All,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP :)
I put this problem in the forum but I had no chance to work on it last
week unfurtunately...
So now I tested the Artem's patch but the results show:
1) speed is very slow compare with the usage without patch
2) There are not very big differences of memory usage (I tested till now
only with relativly small indexes - less than 1 GB and less than 1 mil
docs because the when using with 20-40 GB indexes I had to wait more
than 5 mins what is practically usless).

So I have doubts if I use the patch correctly. I do just what is
described in Artem's letter:

AV> You can include StoredFieldSortFactory class source file into your sources and
AV> then use StoredFieldSortFactory.create(sortFieldName, sortDescending) to get
AV> Sort object for sorting query.
AV> StoredFieldSortFactory source file can be extracted from LUCENE-769 patch or
AV> from sharehound sources: http://sharehound.cvs.sourceforge.net/*checkout*/sharehound/jNetCrawler/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/StoredFieldSortFactory.java

What I am wondering about is that in the patch commetns
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-769) I see that there is
written that patch solves the problem by using WeakHashMap, but actually
in the downloaded StoredFieldSortFactory.java  file there is not used
WeakHashMap. Another thing: In the comments in Lucene-769 issue there is
mentioned something about classes like: WeakDocumentsCache and
DocCachingIndexReader but I did not found them in Lucene source code
neither as classes in StoredFieldSortFactory.java. So my questions are:
1. Is it enought to include the file StoredFieldSortFactory.java in the
source code or there are also other classes that I have to douwnload and
include?
2. Have I to use this DocCachingIndexReader instead of Reader that I
currently use in cases when I expect OOMException and will use this patch?

Thanks to all once again :),
Ivan