lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ofer Nave <o...@smarter.com>
Subject search-time boosting
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2007 17:23:11 GMT
I'd like to be able to boost documents at search-time, and I'm not sure
how to do it.

Example:

I'm building a search engine for products (comparison shopping).  Many
queries tend to indicate a category (i.e., 'digital cameras') as opposed
to a product (i.e., 'canon powershot').  I have the name of the category
the product is in indexed in a separate field.  My intention was to
query both the title field and the category field, and when the category
field relevancy is extremely high, boost the documents in that category.

Is there a way to do this?  Or an alternative approach to the problem?

-ofer