lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Xiaocheng Luan <jenal...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Emulating Pages Search
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 14:28:24 GMT
Just to add to the thoughtful responses from the others, it isn't really that bad to do a new
search each time. First, the later searches may likely be "warm" searches and thus won't take
as long as the first search; second, it's the searcher.doc(docId) part that will likely hurt
the most, but hopefully you'll only need to do that for one "page" at a time only (for each
request).

Thanks,
Xiaocheng

Mohsen Saboorian <mohsens@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Is there a way to do emulate paged search in Lucene? I can use the following
peace of code for returning the first page (10 items in each page), but
don't know how to navigate to the next page :-)

 IndexSearcher is = new ...
 TopFieldDocs tops = is.search(query, null /*filter*/, 10, Sort.RELEVANCE);
 for (int i = 0; i < tops.scoreDocs.length; i++) {
  ScoreDoc scoreDoc = tops.scoreDocs[i];
  System.out.println(is.doc(scoreDoc.doc));
 }

I can see that tops.totalHits, returns all matched documents. So is this
really "paged search", or I'm just doing a complete search and put a window
on the returned result each time?

Thanks.