lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andreas Guther" <Andreas.Gut...@markettools.com>
Subject How often to optimize an Index?
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:03:30 GMT
What are best practices for optimizing an Index?

We have several GB indexes in sizes between 2 and 8 GB.  One index gets
updates about every 2 to 30 seconds.  It takes less than a week to have
an index with several thousand files.  What is a good practice for
scheduling optimization?  Wait until a certain number of files is
created?  Every n number of updates?  Once a week or once a night?

I am interested in finding out what other people use for optimizing
strategies.

Andreas