lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Out of memory exception for big indexes
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2007 18:39:28 GMT
Craig,

This just shows you that the JVM OOMed while running thar particular method, and does not
necessarily mean that that method is what's consuming your RAM.
Run your app and, if you are using Java 1.5/1.6 run jmap against that java process and tell
it to show you how much memory objects are consuming.  Sort it by the appropriate column and
you'll get your top memoty hogs.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Craig W Conway <craigwconway@yahoo.com>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Friday, April 6, 2007 1:10:36 PM
Subject: Re: Out of memory exception for big indexes

Would it be fair to say that you can expect OutOfMemory errors if you run complex queries?
ie sorts, boosts, weights...

My query looks like this:

+(pathNodeId_2976569:1^5.0 pathNodeId_2976969:1 pathNodeId_2976255:1 pathNodeId_2976571:1)
+(pathClassId:1 pathClassId:346 pathClassId:314) -id:369

My OutOfMemory error occurs like so:

Dumping heap to java_pid4512.hprof ...
Heap dump file created [71421503 bytes in 2.640 secs]
        at org.apache.lucene.index.MultiReader.norms(MultiReader.java:173)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.TermQuery$TermWeight.scorer(TermQuery.java:69)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.BooleanQuery$BooleanWeight2.scorer(BooleanQuery.java:355)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:130)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.IndexSearcher.search(IndexSearcher.java:100)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.getMoreDocs(Hits.java:66)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Hits.<init>(Hits.java:45)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:45)
        at org.apache.lucene.search.Searcher.search(Searcher.java:37)

http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/java-user@lucene.apache.org/1961376.html
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/java-user@lucene.apache.org/6362024.html