lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Erick Erickson" <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Emulating Pages Search
Date Sun, 01 Apr 2007 12:36:02 GMT
Efficient in your situation, maybe. Good for everybody? Probably not.
The key is exactly your use of the word "state". Personally, I do
NOT want the core search engine to be stateful, that brings a whole
raft of problems with it. And Lucene is a search engine, not a search
application.

I really don't want my underlying search engine to keep track of the
states of many thousands of, say, web users. This, without even
asking the question of how to keep track of the state for each
user in a complex web application. Not to mention the added
requirements that I somehow indicate to Lucene which user's state
to use.

And I'm not even going to go down the path of how to accomplish
the bookkeeping for dropped sessions, timeouts, coordinating
underlying index changes with all these states, etc. etc. etc. I think
that if you consider the larger community, asking Lucene to
"save its state" is much more complex that you think.

That said, I can certainly imagine that there are situations where
making the search process stateful is a good thing. But do you
have any evidence that the current architecture actually is hurting
you other than "theoretically"? I certainly wouldn't go down the
stateful path until I'd demonstrated this in my situation.

If, however, you'd like to make a stateful way to do things and
submit it to the contrib section, I'm sure the guys would be
thrilled.

Erick