lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Simon Wistow <si...@thegestalt.org>
Subject flush, optimize and FileNotFound exceptions
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:50:14 GMT
I have an Indexer which inserts tasks onto a queue and then has a thread
which consumes the tasks (Index, Update or Delete) and executes them. If
the Indexer is shut down it stops the thread, waits until it's finished
its current task and then consumes any other tasks on the queue. Then it
runs

    writer.optimize();
    writer.flush();
    writer.close();

However occasionally we're seeing that optimize() produces a
FileNotFound exception and refers to an .fnm file.

There are no other IndexWriters open on the index and, by that stage, no
IndexReaders either. If I remove the optimize() then everything's fine.

Should I be worried about this - are the optimize() and the flush()
necessary? Are they in the wrong order? I've tried various combos but
since the bug is unpredictable I can't tell if they're working or not.

Simon